Teacher Credentialing Live Scan Fingerprinting (CA CTC)

Effective July 1, 2007, California residents must apply for their Certificate of Clearance online. The first step is to print three copies of Live Scan 41-LS form [PDF]. Next, take these copies to an authorized live scan service provider such as Alive Scan. You will be required to pay the DOJ & FBI processing fees for $49 to the Live Scan operator. In addition, the live scan service provider charges a rolling fee for digitally capturing your fingerprints and submitting your information to the DOJ & FBI. Our live scan rolling fee in only $28 so the total is $77 for our live scan at our San Diego location.


CTC Teacher Credentialing Live Scan Fingerprinting in San Diego

Alive Scan is certified by the California Department of Justice (DOJ) for live scan digital fingerprinting as well as ink “hard card” fingerprinting. We are an authorized alternative to law enforcement fingerprinting in San Diego. Since California law enforcement no longer offer fingerprinting services, our facility is often referred to by local police departments and sheriff offices. We are experienced at (CTC) Commission on Teacher Credentialing Live Scan Fingerprinting. Please contact us if you have questions with applying for your Certificate of Clearance.


What is a Certificate of Clearance for the CTC?

The Certificate of Clearance is a document issued by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing. It is issued to an individual who has completed the Commission’s fingerprint and character and identification process, whose moral and professional fitness has been shown to meet the standards as established by law. The Certificate of Clearance provides verification that the holder has completed a professional fitness review. An individual enrolled in a California educator preparation program must obtain a Certificate of Clearance prior to beginning their student teaching or practicum.


If I already had my livescan done, will I need to do it again for employment?

I already completed the Teacher Credentialing Live Scan. Do I still need live scan fingerprinting again for employment with a school? This is a common question and unfortunately the answer is YES. It’s not unusual for teachers in California to be livescan fingerprinted several times throughout their careers.


Why does each school require me to get live scan fingerprinted again?

The reason is that each school is required to run a criminal background check on its employees and volunteers. Each time you submit your fingerprints, it generates an updated criminal background history report that is sent directly to the school requesting your background report. This private information cannot be shared with other schools, agencies…


NOTE: The “Request for Live Scan Service” form will contain the information for “one” requesting agency. This is why it is important for you to obtain the “Request for Live Scan Service” form directly from that requesting school. This form will contain an ORI code and the school’s contact information. The live scan operator will need this information before your fingerprints can be submitted.


What is Live Scan

Livescan is the electronic process for taking and submitting fingerprints. Fingerprint cards are not electronic and must be processed by the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) manually. Because it’s done electronically, LiveScan takes a shorter time to process. Also, the DOJ only accepts fingerprint images via the LiveScan process for California residents. You may download a LiveScan form by clicking on this link [PDF] . You will need to print three copies of this form and submit them to the LiveScan operator when having your prints taken. Alive Scan does have copies of the Live Scan 41-LS form at our office for teacher credentialing live scan applicants.


Teaching Abroad

If you plan to teach abroad you may be required to submit your fingerprint through the old fashion ink fingerprinting method. We do provide this service on the required FD-258 fingerprint cards. Please see our “Teaching Abroad” page for more information.